Motor third party liability insurance
for his/her auto, if it is registered in the Republic of Bulgaria and is not declared as immobilized.
The policy covers the liability of the insured natural persons and legal entities for property damage and bodily injury caused to third parties as a result of the ownership and/or use of motor vehicles, for which the insured parties are liable according to the Bulgarian law or the legislation in the country of accident.
- Period of insurance
The compulsory motor TPL insurance is issued for a period of 1 (one) year.
The conclusion of the insurance for a shorter period, but not less than 30 (thirty) days, shall be allowed only in case of:
- insurance of motor vehicles, which have temporary or transit registration according to the operative Bulgarian legislation;
- conclusion of insurance by companies dealing with import and sale of motor vehicles;
- insurance of slow-speed motor vehicles;
- insurance of self-propelled vehicles.
- Validity of the insurance
The insurance is valid for the territories of the member countries of the European Union, the EEA member-countries, Switzerland, Andorra and Serbia.
- Sums insured (limits of liability)
In case of occurrences on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria the compulsory minimum sums insured (limits) as from 11th June 2012 for each event are, as follows:
- for material and non-material damage resulting from bodily injury or death:
- BGN 2,000,000 per injured person for any one occurrence;
- BGN 10,000,000 - for two and more injured persons in any one occurrence;
- for property damage (belongings)
- BGN 2,000,000 for any one occurrence.
In case of occurrences on the territory of an EEA member-country the motor TPL insurance cover provided in each member country is in accordance with its legislation or in accordance with the law operative on the territory of ordinary residence of the motor vehicle, if this cover is higher.
- Insurance premium
The insurance premium due per annum is fixed on the basis of the followingobjective and subjective risk factors: type of motor vehicle, engine capacity, total weight, number of car seats and specific features of the motor vehicle, registration number and permanent address of the owner and method of payment of the insurance premium.